Saturday, 24 August 2013

Bitchy Bit: Labeling Photos

Bitchy Bit is my occasional feature in which I'll have a whinge about certain aspects of outdoorsy stuff - and some of the things that can come with having hillwalking as a hobby.

Today I'm starting with something unnecessarily petty: Photo labeling.

«Entitled: A Hill What We Saw In The North of the UK

Taking photos is pretty common in this business. Even if you're not one for victorious trig photos then chances are you'll have wanted to share the epic view from the summit once you've got back home. And I have no issue with that - hell I'm beyond snap happy when I get too close to a fell. My issue is when they turn up on certain sites with titles that are beyond vague.

Now I can't be the only one who pores over blogs, Flickr and even Pinterest when planning a hiking holiday. And when the Yeti and I have regular access to a car (one day...), it will only get worse.

So when I need inspiration for where I want to go and what I want to see, shit like this does not help:



"Lake District". Really?

Now just in case anyone doesn't know: The Lake District National Park is pretty freaking huge; about 885sq miles huge. Saying that this lovely scene is somewhere in that vast expanse does not really help. 

To be fair, I probably really am being petty and it's not that big a deal; I'm sure the Pinterester(?) meant well. But I'm not yet at a point where I can recognise areas yet (I even have trouble with some I've been to - I was convinced every other hill near Ambleside was Loughrigg Fell...) and so finding somewhere I'd love to visit coupled with a title that tells me no more than 'Yep. It's definitely within 100miles of your campsite...' is a little frustrating.

But maybe I'm being too harsh, after all on my first visit to the Lakes, I tagged everything with "Lake District" rather than Low Wray/Ambleside/Loughrigg Fell... but then again I didn't know what Cumberland was back then, either. 

Still, I might be being a little harsh on these poor bloggers/pinteresters(??)/Flickr members - but I guess I just want to be able to get inspired to read up on a place without having to turn into the hiking version of Sherlock Holmes.

Aaagh!

No comments:

Post a Comment