Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Hiking Anecdote: The Navigator

I think I've mentioned before: I'm not allowed to navigate.

«OS Map Fort. Because that's what happens when you work too hard on a research proposal.

Now this doesn't seem entirely fair at times, after all: no one loves reading the maps like me, no one can spot a Peaks hill like me on the train to Manchester, and no one else drinks in the walking guides like I do. But nonetheless, I am not allowed to plan a route.

If I ever point out how unfair all of this is, the Yeti helpfully reminds me of our trip to Win Hill last June. Namely the bits where I cost us a great deal of time, got us completely lost, and managed to convince myself we were about 3 miles away from where we actually were ("we're either here or... um... here?").  

And then I can't help but remind myself of the time I horrified my ex by asking why everywhere sold Cumberland sausage while we were in the Lakes, nor how I sent my best friend into fits of giggles after being stunned that Liverpool was by the sea... while we were in Liverpool.

I'll give credit where it's due: the Yeti is a fantastic navigator.
I'm still learning how to use a compass while the Yeti is an old hand - while I still occasionally mix up fence markings on OS maps with walking trails,the Yeti safely navigated us off a mountain when I was completely stumped (the only route I knew involved ascending 300m more, then walking another few miles before descending... not ideal at 9pm). 

But I will say this for me:
Working out a way to walk 25 yards in an hour takes skill.

«

No comments:

Post a Comment