Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Next Hike: The Wrekin

This is an as-and-when feature, as sadly I can't always hike when I want to. But for my first installment of this feature, I'll be talking about a hike that's planned for the very same day - which is very unusual for me.

Ordinarily, I reckon these posts will appear the night, or even a few days, before the hike described, but as I'm sat waiting for the yeti to come into the land of the living (and as we can't use the car until 10:30 anyway), I figured I might as well post.

So long story short, yesterday I boarded a bunch of trains (including one that threatened to take me all 'round Wales if I missed my stop) and traveled from Sheffield to Shrewsbury in order to visit the yeti while he's back in his home town.

I'm in the process of sweet talking/tantrum-ing/flirting my way to convincing the yeti to take us to the Welsh mountains, but until then we're staying on this side of the border and easing ourselves into a week of walking with today's hike: The Wrekin.

Standing at 407m - only 298m of which we need to scale - it's low enough to ensure we get out of it alive and with our feet intact (i.e. not blistered/sore), but high enough to offer views like these:
























Admittedly we're not going at sunrise, but that's not the point.

So, yes. The Wrekin.
Now. Bring me those hills...


Sources: one, two, three, wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment