Sunday, 4 August 2013

Welcome to Bitches Love Hills!

In this, my first post, I feel it would perhaps be prudent to explain where the name comes from, lest you think me a complete twat...

As mentioned on the About the Bitch page, I got into fell walking by accident when trying to impress the guy I liked. Before then, I loved wandering through fields and woods, but I had no interest in hills: they were high up and seemed an awful lot of effort to deal with.  Then I met a guy who suggested that we went up a hill. A big hill. Kinder Scout.

I spent half the time bricking it, but I stomped, scrambled and panicked my way to the top. And once I got up there, suddenly it wasn't just worth it because of him. The views, the fresh air, the sense of accomplishment – these were the things that had made that day amazing. The fit bloke carrying everything and looking after me whenever I panicked (which was often), was just the icing on the cake.

A few weeks after Kinder Scout, my girlfriends and I were judging the suitability of taking someone on a massive hike for a first date. I shrugged and said that it had gotten my attention, then my oldest friend Vicki nodded sagely and, in an understanding voice, said : "Bitches love hills".

She was almost certainly referencing that meme; we all laughed and it became an amusing one-liner in our friendship circle and still raises a smile today. So then, when I decided (for good or ill) to start this blog, I couldn't think of a better title to use to document my journey as I get deeper and deeper into the brilliant world of hill walking.

There are more details about the blog and about me ("the bitch") on the relevant pages, if you were curious. Until next time, here's a photo of a bitch (me) loving a hill...



No comments:

Post a Comment