Wednesday, 25 September 2013

From One Rock to Another: Carl Wark & Higger Tor

Alternate title: "Higger, Please"  (blame my cousin...)

So as I mentioned previously, the Yeti is back in Yorkshire and so I took the opportunity to drag him out to the Peak District before he went and got himself a real job (some people).

Owing to a mixture of persistent (although gradually healing) injury and me not having a railcard at the time (that said, props to the railcard people for sorting out my replacement card so quickly), we decided to go for an easier walk while having a bit of a scramble.
«
So we devised the plan that we'd get the bus from Eccleshall Road to Fox House Inn (so that I could use my county transport ticket. The glamour.), walk up to Carl Wark and Higger Tor, walk round to Hathersage, get some snap, then walk back to Fox House for the bus home.

Plan.

«This is meant to illustrate the whole 'feeling like a boss from having a plan' thing.
I feel it works.

First problem:
I reckon I've mentioned before, but I can't handle crossing streams. 
I'd been hoping that mine and the Yeti's gorge scrambling excursion over the summer would help to deal with that, but alas to no avail. Now, I knew that the walk from Fox House to Carl Wark involved a stream, and I'd dealt with it well enough (albeit with little dignity) when I'd been round the area last month. What I was not expecting was 30-odd preteens on a school trip at the only safe crossing point I know.

Bugger.

So we added another mile to the route and walked round to the bridge close to the Burbage Moor woods (interesting fact: most of it is apparently due for felling). So we got to pester workmen working on the footpath...

«

And climb all over a bunch of random rocks

«
Eventually we found our way over to the bridge, and headed off over to Carl Wark. 

We ascended to the top and then proceeded to do the usual thing of climbing over everything in sight and arguing about the Yeti showing off and me being too much of a shutter bug.

And yeah, the Yeti loved it as much as I'd thought he would.

«

Then onwards and upwards to Higger Tor. 

Though while the path up to Higger is pretty clear (as you can see above), once you're up there things can get a little more confusing. That said, it might just be me talking - she who is not allowed to navigate - but it did get a teeny bit annoying up there. Then again, it was nice to have such a decent scramble.

«

But eventually we got up to the top and had a play scrambling up a bunch of things before sitting down to a hearty hiking snack and to work out what our next move ought to be.

We already knew that Higger Tor was fairly near to Hathersage, it was just getting there. But only once we'd figured out the next step (and balked at how wrong my calculations had been as to the proximity of the village to Higger Tor), the heavens opened and we soggily trudged on.

There's not a massive amount to tell you from this point, though it was a lot of fun to chase chickens (don'tjudgeme), desperately avoid suspicious cows, and wander through the village.

«

By the time we got to Hathersage our injuries were screaming at us and so we decided to be lazy and get the train home. So we didn't walk the 8-odd miles we were expecting, but it was still a nice reintroduction to the Peaks after the Yeti's summer away.

Now to train up for the real stuff.

«*Cue Rocky theme*

No comments:

Post a Comment