Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Hiking Anecdote: Grimmest Beer Garden Ever


«

There was a lad as loved a lass
Who lived at t'top of t'Kirkstone Pass
He said: "Ah'll love thee for ivver 'n' ivver
But will I visit thee? Nivver, nay nivver"

Over a year ago now, I got taken to the Lakes for a few days by my hiking partner at the time. The weather was atrocious and so the only full day of the trip was largely spent milling around Keswick and driving around near Ullswater. But in our meanderings, we did come across the Kirkstone Pass Inn: the third-highest pub in England.

We had a pint there (it was something to do) and, I must admit, I fell a little bit in love with the place. Perhaps it was partly the novelty of being so high up, of being so remote, or perhaps of the fact that we could no longer see his car parked just across the road thanks to all the cloud. Or maybe it was just because it was a beautiful little pub that seemed to have fairly yummy food on offer.
At any rate, I wouldn't say no to going back there with the Yeti. 

If nothing else, I could get a better photo from the car park this time...

«

Disclaimer: Ok, not really a hiking anecdote per se, but in my defence you can hike up there! ...Also, someone reminded me of this place today and so I wanted to reminisce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment