Sunday, 29 September 2013

Solo Ramblings

I'd toyed with calling this post "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" but this presented two problems: (1) It would surely be better saved for something to do with Ullswater, and (2) I'm not that poetic.
Anyway..

As I've mentioned before, the Yeti has gone and got himself a grown up job (sigh). This, combined with the fact that I tend to work weekends, has meant that there's been a dramatic dip in our ability to hike together.

Now you know me, I can't be kept away from the hills for too long and so I soldier on and try to organise things with my friends or my family. But alas, it turns out that when you get to/beyond your mid-20s, the whole getting real job thing is kind of expected, and so I reach the same barriers with them. Thus, I am forced to consider the alternative:
Solo Hiking 

«From the last solo hike. 

I went on my first solo hike last month while waiting for the Yeti to move back up t'North and, all being well, will be doing my second tomorrow (the same route as before. You all know why). Now this might not seem like a big deal, and indeed it probably isn't for most - but as someone who lives her life in a permanent haze of vague and mild panic, it's a bit of an undertaking. 

That said, my first solo hike went pretty damn well - far better than I'd expected (and that includes expectations formed during the hike). I ended up walking further than I ever have before (and making record time), taking fewer breaks, and being more selective with my "photography". Plus I still got the same strong sense of achievement and joy that I get with every fell conquered.

While I missed the conversation, the security that comes with someone to look after you on the scary bits, and the whole safety in numbers thing (I'm sorry, but the weather was total serial killer on the moors type weather), having someone to take your trig pic, and getting to go for a post-hike pint - the day showed me, if nothing else, that walking alone isn't all that bad.

«"serial killer on the moors type weather"

Now here's to completing my next solo hike in one piece...
(touch wood)

«

No comments:

Post a Comment