Thursday, 31 October 2013

Halloween on the Hills

Happy Halloween!
It's that special time of year again: where it's not only acceptable - but encouraged to wear a costume, eat too many sweats and get more than a little squiffy on Brain Hemorrhage shots.

And it wouldn't truly be Halloween without mention of a ghost or two, so I've had a gander and dug up a few ghosts that haunt the hills and surrounding areas (especially in the Peaks. Local bias and that).

Don't have nightmares!

«

Peak District

Great Longstone - At dusk or just before dawn in this area, walkers may encounter a grim procession of a dozen headless men. It's said that whoever sees the grizzly sight will be the next occupier of the coffin they carry on their shoulders.

Nag's Head, Castleton - I had my lunch in this pub before climbing Mam Tor for the first time back in 2012, but I'd never realised it was haunted. Many war planes were brought down over the Kinder Moors back in WWII and the bodies of the RAF crew members killed in one such crash were brought to the Nag's Head. Customers have since reported seeing ghostly figures in airmen uniforms and hearing noises they can't quite explain.

And don't even get me started on Winnat's Pass - Strictly speaking, I don't really believe in ghosts, but even I felt beyond uncomfortable walking around the area once night had fallen. But with a history of murders in and near the pass, it's enough to chill anyone walking through the area. 

Oh, and if you're driving to or from a hill and need to go past the Eyre Arms - watch out for the ghostly horseman. He's already claimed one driver.


Elsewhere

The Lake District has a few ghostly tales on offer, many of which can be read here - my favourite is the Crier of Claife... and by favourite, I mean most likely to give me nightmares.

Apparently a ghostly spitfire can be seen over the Wrekin.

And Snowdonia's not short of spooky stories, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment