Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Hill Sick

Is there a way to describe that emotion where you feel homesick for a place you only ever visited once?

«
I lived in London for a few years for uni and I often have pangs of homesickness for there, but as my Gran is keen to point out: "tha's not from London, tha's a Yorkshire lass". So in lieu of calling it homesickness, I now say I'm feeling South Sick.
...But I guess that could also be interpreted as sick of the south.


Anyway.
I know I never lived there, so this is even further removed from the term, but I'm feeling homesick for the hills.

«
 I'm definitely missing the Lake District - and especially Great Langdale, though I hadn't realised just how much I was (am) missing it until I saw it on the telly at work on Sunday. It was only a few passing glimpses of a segment a few minutes long, but it was enough to put me in a pouty mood for the rest of the shift.

«
I thought on it a little longer when I got home that evening and it occurred to me that I didn't just miss the Lake District, but I missed the Peak District too.

It feels like an absolute age since my last wander and scramble - and even longer since my last proper summit.

Photo courtesy of Yvonne Wootton
There's no denying it: I'm hill-sick.

But alas, I'm all booked up this week, and as I'm pretending to be a grown up from Monday then I'm even more bereft of free time than ever before.

But the Yeti assures me there will be opportunity for at least one more hill before the year's out.

Hell, my birthday's coming up soon, and if needs be I'm sure I can forgo the night of drunken debauchery in the city in favour of a can of strawberry cider to celebrate reaching a summit. Even if it's just Mam Tor.

«

No comments:

Post a Comment