Thursday, 2 January 2014

2014: What's Next?

«
I was supposed to be going up the Long Mynd today.
But alas, a head cold that could kill a horse, panicked time-sucking uni admin, and a misplaced map all put paid to that plan.

So instead, I decided to use the pyjama'd, paracetamol-y down time to have a bit of a think about some of the things I want to get done this year. Especially those things that involve being a little bit outdoorsy.

It's not a complete list by any means, but here's some ideas...

  • Climb at least 2 hills that are taller than Middle Fell. To my shame: Middle Fell remains the biggest thing I've ever hiked. This year, I want to sort that out (though I will try for more than 2 fells that are bigger. That's more a starting point.)
  • Have a driving holiday in the Lakes. This has been my dream since mine and the Yeti's incredible mini-hol in Langdale last summer. Those few days were phenomenal and while I didn't feel the need to leave the Valley, it would have been nice to explore a few more areas. So a dream was born: hire/borrow a car and spend 1-2weeks driving around the Lakes, stopping at a different campsites for a few nights then moving on (and maybe even a night or 2 in random, scenic B&Bs). Whether it's this year will depend on money, work, and how much Hellfest sets us back - but it's certainly a decent goal to have.
  • A hill a month; no excuses. This shouldn't be too difficult: I'm moving to a place down the road (broadly speaking) from the Peaks and the Lakes - and I'm planning on joining a hiking society to boot. None the less, it's still a goal.
  • Try out a climbing wall. Because why not.

Here's to a (hopefully) decent, outdoorsy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment