Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Back At Sea Level: Non-Snow Snow & Big News

The first part of that was supposed to be a vague attempt at a pun regarding being snowed under.
All too late, I realise that it just doesn't work.

Oh well.


Anyhoo, life is trudging on. Unfortunately there are, as yet, still no hills to update you on. I was hoping to bag one before February ended, however that's looking a little unlikely considering there are 2 days left and I am, as my terrible title attempts to suggest, snowed under.

In the next two weeks I need to read 50 papers (at least), mark twenty 1,000-word essays, keep on top of lecture readings, write 2 reports, and start outlining the introduction to my thesis. Oh, and still see the Yeti and some of the uni people. 
Turns out that PhDs are not an entirely relaxed affair.

But after a particularly harsh day, I'm taking an evening off, so I might as well update you on a thing or two that's happened of late. If only it involved a hill....


We had the weekend of injury...
The Yeti demonstrated a unique new skill and managed to knock himself out getting out of bed. Cue spending Valentine's night in A&E. As he was advised not to drink, we cancelled our Saturday plans in favour of a night in. En route to get some dinner and snacks from the supermarket, we encountered a bloke on the pavement with a nasty compound fracture. Cue me calling an ambulance for the first time ever. An hour and fifteen minutes later, paramedics arrived to deal with the (now incoherent and in-shock) patient, and we finally go on our way to the shop (we'd only made it 100 yards from the gate up to that point).



I've started learning a little bit of Medical Law...
Here's my favourite thing that I've learnt so far:

"No law expressly prohibits any unregistered, unlicensed or unqualified person from practicing most types of medicine or even surgery."

Seriously. The laws are more concerned with fraud prevention: they only really prohibit me from making out I'm a doctor to treat you. As long as you know I'm just a twat with a philosophy degree and a half-decent paring knife and you still consent, well then we're all good in the eyes of the law. 
...Admittedly there might be more subtleties around this than I'm allowing for, but that quote is from the fifth edition of my (very well-respected) law professor's book, so I don't think I'm going too wrong just yet.

Edit: Turns out a civil law based on a case called Brown takes care of the bulk of this...



I joined the Rock Soc...
and discovered that 1) there is still a Lancs/Yorks divide, 2) For reasons beyond me, I get on especially well with first year scientists (??), and 3) I cannot handle cider. Especially when I drink it til 5am and then have to be up at 8 for a lecture...


And last but not least, The Big News...


The Yeti and I are moving in together!
Admittedly it's not for another 156 days (not that I'm counting...) and it's going to involve me spending an awful lot of time on trains, but I really cannot wait. We signed the lease on a lovely little flat in Sheffield about 2 weeks ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. Roll on August 1st.


So you're pretty much caught up with my non-hill life, now (unless you really want to hear all about Moral Enhancement...). I hope you're all doing well and are experiencing far more fells than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment