Sunday, 12 July 2015

Lakes 2014: Day Seven


Wow I'm bad at keeping up with things - including my own to do list. Sorry about  that. But now only 9 months on from the last post, I can continue where I left off reminiscing about mine and the Yeti's visit to the Lakes.

Now almost a year ago to the day, here is Day Seven of the trip.


Day seven was a pretty chilled affair - it started gorgeously with low cloud over the hills, which always seems to be the case on our last day at Langdale (well, the two times we've been, at least).

That Sunday was moving day: we packed up our stuff at Great Langdale Campsite ready to head west to the site at Wasdale. Given my lack of coping when we'd originally attempted to drive to Wasdale a few days before, we decided to take the scenic route.


We were hoping to pop to Kirkstone Pass Inn for lunch but got there too early, and given the large number of tourists that were already congregating, we decided to leave it until a quieter day (which has yet to arrive). Still, at least it was 100% less cloud-filled than the last time I had gone (way back in 2012).



What's more, we got to drive up and down the Struggles - and the Yeti got to look pretty chuffed with himself about it.




In the end we just drove directly to Wasdale, me getting terribly overexcited at the amazing scenery, and Sam trying to concentrate on the unfamiliar roads despite me making high-pitched noises next  to him.

I'd been to Wast Water two years before, and had longed to go back ever since, so seeing this out of the windscreen was a great feeling.


We eventually found Wasdale Campsite (pro tip: watch out for the large rocks on the left, they're to let you know you want to be turning right for the campsite and car park) and after a lot of milling around looking confused, we eventually found a National Trust person who told us to "just pitch anywhere".

So it was a very different kettle of fish to the more structured arrival at Langdale (where you're given a pitch number according to your tent size and any requests you might make (like requesting the same pitch again... which I tried)). We pitched up, the tent facing out towards Scafell.



Wasdale campsite feels a very different creature to Langdale, it was eerily quiet the whole time we were there and - for want of a less stupid way of putting it - the hills surrounding the site feel a hell of a lot less friendly, and way more imposing. I also noticed I felt a lot more nervous when I'd venture out at night for the loo than I did at Langdale, but that might have had more to do with familiarity.

I am by no means diminishing the site, it's amazing, the staff are great, and honestly it's still somewhere I can't wait to return to one day - it was just so surreal how different two campsites could feel.




But I digress.

Unpacked and pitched up, we decided to go for a wander down the road and have a nosy at Wast Water. We didn't walk too far as we were eager to get back to the tent to make some tea, but we did spend a lovely hour or so on the bank, skimming stones, and taking the blurriest self-timer photo ever.







Next time: The Yeti and I head up our highest hill to date which is remarked to have some of the most incredible views in the western Lakes.... which we didn't get to see. We also spend some time literally in some rain clouds; these two events may be related.

Flashback: Video, Day 1, Day 2 (am/pm), Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment